As I am moving house next week, it means I am currently doing a lot of packing and organising. And whilst doing so I have found some work from first year. The project I was most excited to have dug out was my first ever PR campaign for Sunderland Flames Women’s Rugby Team (not one we put into practice might I add, just planned and presented it in class).
Having a read through again, I am still extremely proud of what we put together and how good our final presentation looked. But I also saw lots of things I was not so proud of and that I would change in a heartbeat if given the chance to do the campaign again!
So, here are the PR lessons I have learnt looking back on this work over a year later…
Know your client inside-out. If I was doing the same thing again I would make sure we visited the rugby ground, talked to the players and got to know about them. The players are what make up the team and the team is what our campaign was all about. We did lots of secondary research, but just this is not enough if you want a relevant campaign that really stands out – you need to know as much as you can about the client.
Less is sometimes more. In this case, that applied to our presentation, something I think we did really well. We kept clear, concise points on the PowerPoint and added more detail where needed when presenting each part. In our feedback this was highlighted as one of the positives of our campaign and something I have taken note of implemented in work since.
Some of our PowerPoint slides
If you don’t ask, you don’t get. Part of our primary research in this project consisted of questionnaires conducted online and in person. And don’t get me wrong we got some really good feedback. But in retrospect I would have liked more. Some people we questioned came out with some very interesting points and if we had asked them a little more we might have had some even better research. I’ve definitely learnt to delve deeper when conducting research.
Know your role. Obviously in the “real world” you have a job title and role, so this makes this point a lot easier. But we designated everyone in our team a specific role in this campaign and (for the most part at least) this worked well. It made sure the work load was fairly divided, nobody was under any unnecessary stress and it ensured all aspects of the campaign were covered. We still bounced ideas off each other and helped each other out where needed, but its always good to have some boundaries of who is doing what.
Keep detailed minutes. This is a big one for me. Keeping minutes in a meeting I have definitely learnt is essential as it ensures everything is remembered, from what the task is, to who is doing it, to when it must be done by. It was nice to have something to refer back to if any of us went off track and ensured we were always organised.
I can safely say that looking back, it’s a first project that really ain’t that bad! We – my group of Charlotte, Hannah, Lauren, Melissa & myself – did a good job for a first go. But I can definitely see ways it could be improved and lots of lessons have been learnt!
Until next time…